Tuesday 24 December 2013

CHRISTMAS WISHLIST

We all know that Christmas is about many things - it's a time to be surrounded by family, it's a time to relax and, most importantly, it's a time to eat your own body weight in chocolate. As Santa prepares to come for the first time this year and his reindeer are limbering up for their annual voyage, my mind has turned momentarily (I'm not that shallow, I promise!) to the wonderful things that I will finally be able to buy with the Christmas money that we all request from those poor family members that have no idea what we actually want. Some of it is, inevitably, fashion-related but there are some things that justify their investment in the sense that they make everyday life that little bit easier. However, this is a 'wishlist', meaning that there are some items on this list that I can only salivate at the thought of - there is a mix of the expensive and the affordable, and I have tried to include links where possible. On the whole - enjoy!

ALEXANDER McQUEEN ; LOVE LOOKS NOT WITH THE EYES

It will come as little surprise that the first item I'm planning to buy is this orgasmic coffee-table book, designed as a retrospective of the late Alexander McQueen. One of fashion's most prolific characters, the book documents McQueen's illustrious career from its humble beginnings to its tragic end. The backstage portraits show the hectic work that goes into preparing one of his runway spectacles, whereas the introduction and short texts give insight into his working process. It's a weighty tome, complete with hundreds of glossy behind-the-scenes shots of some of the designer's greatest collections, as well as intimate snapshots which portray his close relationships with supermodel friends. There A true collectors' item and any fashion lover's wet dream, this book is available to buy here


ZARA: Winter Gloves

Unfortunately the pictures on the official website (the gloves to the left are available to purchase here) don't do them justice, but this year Zara is the ONLY place to head if you're looking for a pair of gloves that will last. I've always been a fan of leather gloves but no pair have ever caught my eye enough to warrant an investment - I like my accessories with some kind of pattern or colour purely because I tend to dress in monochrome and let the accents do the talking. The pair that I treated myself to (Sorry Santa.. I'm impatient..) are houndstooth and leather and they're incredible - ridiculously warm and they add a cool twist to any outfit. There are dozens of variations in store, from plain black with zip detailing through to dark green tartan, and all of them are a step above other stores in terms of quality and aesthetic.

URBAN OUTFITTERS: Magical Unicorn Mug


Maybe I just watch too much Desperate Housewives, but I do  believe that I almost have a domestic side - just one that rarely involves cooking. Instead, I choose to express my domesticity via a series of carefully-chosen mugs and this will (hopefully!) be the latest addition to my collection. My diet rarely extends further than muesli and crabsticks but the one thing that I really can't live without is coffee, and a quirky mug full of strong black coffee is the one thing that dulls my desire to kill myself every Monday morning. What could make a boy happier than a unicorn? A pink one. Dancing. In a field. Magical.


RICK OWENS: DRKSHDW Shorts / SS14


In February I will be moving to the (disgustingly) sunny climes of Southern Spain, a move that is killing the goth inside me. I've become accustomed to the freezing cold city and welcomed it accordingly with a sea of dramatic black clothing that I'm not quite ready to let go, so I have been figuring out ways to make my winter wardrobe for summer. However, since this is a wishlist I thought it was only appropriate to include these ultra-comfortable drop-crotch jersey shirts from fashion's greatest goth, Rick Owens. Black is the one colour that never goes out of style and the casual fit means that these could be either dressed down and worn to university or dressed up with clunky brogues and a dark fitted shirt and blazer - the black hides the fact that the shorts are jersey, meaning they can easily be dressed up with the right amount of imagination.

V V BROWN: Samson & Delilah


As critics compile their musical 'Best of 2013' lists, I have realised that this is without a doubt one of the greatest albums of this year. - it's eclectic, it's dark and it has already withstood the test of time. Quirky pop artist V V Brown is best known for her ultra-catchy 'Shark In The Water' but this album represents a complete musical U-turn that resulted in her (as is usually the case) feeling suffocated by her label, pushing her to break free and establish her own record label and her own sound. Inspired as much by opera as it is by electro. Citing the Knife, James Blake and Crystal Castles as her primary inspirations, Brown has succeeded in reinventing herself musically without sacrificing quality. 

SO, there we have it - I tried to keep it relatively short because a) I'm not delusional and b) there's only so much time you can spend looking at things you can't afford without wanting to kill / pawn yourself. A very Merry Christmas to everybody - I'll see you on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment